SAKU – 咲く– FY2016 Program
Supporting Advanced activities of Key yoUng researchers :
Okayama University URA (University Research Administrator) division is pleased to announce the opening of the call for proposals for SAKU program 2016. SAKU is a multiannual support program with an aim to provide strategic support to young talented researchers to enhance their potential and expertise domestically and globally. This program is open to those who wish to increase their international research profile by building connections with foreign researchers.
The objective of the program is to allow them to visit more than 2 overseas institutions during a week to 10 day tour.
1 - About the Program:
Each successful applicant will conduct a tour designed by him/herself to strengthen and explore the possibilities of international collaboration with best international teams. A great freedom is left the applicants to describe their projects, to express themselves and demonstrate their capabilities to international research during the tours. They may include not only discussions and presentations at institutions, but also participation in scientific events, such as symposiums or seminars.
Destinations can be any region of the world. However western countries, where Okayama University wishes to strongly enhance its potential, should be more favourably considered.
1-1 Research Fields:
Fields of activities to be covered will change each fiscal year.
In 2016, 2 sessions will be organised
A) Material sciences in a broad sense including:
- Characterisations of structural and physical properties
- Applications (NB: interface, bio, materials are covered.)
1-2 Support includes:
- Travel expenses including round-trip air ticket (economy class only)
- Accommodation fees
- Daily allowance
1-3 Points to note:
- Tours will be conducted during the period of October 1st 2016 to March 31st 2017.
- Tour length will depend on the number of sites to be visited. For example, 7 - 8 days for 2 sites, and 9 -10 days for 3 sites or more, but the total length will not exceed 10 days.
- Application form will be written in English.
- Successful applicants will be required to submit reports after completion of the tours.
- Research presentation of each successful applicant at visited site will include 4 to5 slides to promote Okayama University. (The slides will be provided by URA division.)
2 - Eligibility Criteria:
In order to allow Okayama University to invest in the long term to increase a recognised and sustainable international profile, the program is open to those who fulfil the following eligibility criteria.
a – Applicants must hold a PhD at the time of the deadline for submission of applications.
b – Applicants must be Assistant Professors, Senior Assistant Professors, or Associate Professors of Okayama University. (Full Professors are not eligible.)
c – Previous recipients of SAKU support are NOT eligible to apply this time.
3 - Selection Process:
I – Submission of applications
II – Screening with written materials to select 10 candidates for interviews
III – Oral presentation (in English) and interviews with Evaluation Committee
IV – Final selection of 4 to 5 laureates in each session
Composition of the Evaluation Committee:
Chairman : Prof. Shin-ichi Yamamoto, vice president/executive director of research
Members : -Internationally recognised senior researchers
-URAs of Okayama University
4 - How to apply:
Applicants are required to submit “Application Form for FY 2016 SAKU Program” by email to the following email addresses.
Bernard CHENEVIER – Senior URA Okayama University
Emi UNEYAMA – URA Okayama University
* Please replace "[at] " with "@" in the above email addresses.
Deadline : 31st of August 2016